12FOOT12 INSTALLATION CHALLENGE
CALLING ALL ARTISTS + DESIGNERS
CALL CLOSED. THANK YOU TO ALL THAT APPLIED.
Create a structure within a 12 X 12 X 12 foot space, on the Kaleido Family Arts Festival site from September 9-11, 2016, on Edmonton’s Alberta Avenue (118 Ave).
We invite artists, designers, creatives to submit their idea for an innovative creation that will fit within a 12x12x12 foot space down 118th Avenue as part of the fifth annual 12FOOT12 Installation Challenge. This year’s festival theme is Fill your heart with Kaleido.
Installations must begin on the evening of Friday, September 9 at 7:00 PM, and must be complete 24 hours later by 7:00 PM on Saturday, September 10.
$400 artist fee and $100 credit with Edmonton ReUse Stores will be given to up to three (3) selected teams.
See full rules and guidelines below.
12FOOT12 RULES AND GUIDELINES
- The street will be closed to vehicle traffic and building sites will be marked. Building sites are not enclosed, and not against any walls. All building sites will be on pavement.
- Artists must provide their own materials, tools and labour and are responsible for the installation and dismantle in its entirety. However, each Creative Team will be provided with $100 project credit at Edmonton ReUse Stores and a $400 artist fee. Installations must be dismantled following the festival closure on Sunday, September 11th. Any damage to the site will be charged to the responsible artists/designers.
- Building sites will not have access to electricity or water. Artists and designers may use cordless and/or hand tools if required. Pleases specify any concerns you may have about barriers to construction in your Proposal. In certain cases, components may be constructed in advance and assembled on site. (eg: wood pieces may be cut, etc.)
- All installations must be weather proof (wind and rain), and safe for public viewing. If tools and/or other dangerous elements are present during construction, there must be someone present at all times to ensure public safety.
- Installations may include an interactive or performance element, but it must be alongside a visual art/design component.
- Installations may be created collaboratively by pairs or groups of artists/designers who inspire
- Security is limited to the venue’s existing security operations. Exhibit attendant volunteers will be provided at the installation site during the public hours of operation, and general security will be present overnight. If you have specific concerns, or if you wish to assist Kaleido in providing attendants for your site, please include these points in your Proposal.
- As a public event, Kaleido is required to carry comprehensive general liability insurance (CGL).
- Kaleido will produce printed and electronic publishing and site signage to promote the Installation Challenge. All promotional material independently by the artist or organization must provide logo credit to Kaleido. Artists may bring their own signage to their installation site if they so choose.
- All artists/designers must enter into a contractual agreement with Arts on the Avenue if they are selected.
- The Kaleido Festival Office in the Carrot Community Arts Coffeehouse must receive your application no later than August 15, 2016.
- Acknowledgement of receipt will be emailed out upon receipt of the completed Application.